Next Generation Leaders Helping Perth Amboy to Eat Healthy
In Perth Amboy – like so many cities – it’s often easier to find unhealthy fast food than fresh fruits and vegetables. That will change if the Emerging Leaders for a Healthier Community succeed in their summer action plan.
The Emerging Leaders launched two initiatives to help people in Perth Amboy make healthier food decisions.
One is enhancing a “choice store” where residents can pick items they need, from toiletries to produce. The Emerging Leaders are teaming up with the Jewish Renaissance Foundation’s Silver Linings Resource Center, to expand the existing choice store.
The other initiative is participating in New Jersey’s Summer Food Service Program. This involves distributing hot lunches at Caledonia Park to those who are 18 and younger. Other locations in Perth Amboy that participate in New Jersey’s Summer Food Service Program are:
- Success Bound, 380 Washington St.
- Most Holy Name of Jesus Parish, 315 Lawrie St.
- Perth Amboy High School, 300 Eagle Ave.
- Samuel E. Shull Middle School, 380 Hall Ave.
- Robert N. Wilentz Elementary School, 51 First St.
- William C. McGinnis Middle School, 271 State St.
- Dr. Herbert N. Richardson Elementary School, 318 Stockton St.
- James J. Flynn Elementary School, 850 Chamberlain Ave.
- Perth Amboy Christian Center, 299 Barclay St.
The Emerging Leaders are excited to be tackling food insecurity in Perth Amboy this summer, and hope their work builds a strong foundation for healthier eating in their city all year long.
Follow the Emerging Leaders on Instagram and track all of the Next Generation Community Leaders teams through the hashtag #NJLeaders2030.